A time of radical transformation in terms of style, music, and connection among race. I grew up in the city of Richmond, VA, and we ran TOGETHER. Black, White, Hispanic, Asian…race was not an issue unless YOU made it one. We came together and found COMMON ground.
A day in the life back then consisted of style, freestyling with my boys’ after school as we drove to basketball practice, sports, weights, weight GAIN supplements (awe, I miss those days), and a little bit of attention to formal education.
The house parties played about ever genre: Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, R.E.M., Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, B.I.G., Snoop, Dr. Dre, A Tribe Called Quest, Garth Brooks, The Charlie Daniels Band (The Devil Went Down To Georgia was a classic) Jimmy Buffet, and on and on. We loved it all.
Since 90’s style is coming back in ’19, let’s take a minute to reflect with a perspective from someone that was in his prime in this era. We rocked it all when it came to style with one focused goal and that was SMOOTH.
- Shoes– DR. Martins, HushPuppies, Jordan V, Adidas Samba Classic, the Reebok PUMP, Chucks (hightop), Birkenstock, and the infamous Vans Half Cab (ALMOST Hightop).
- Jeans– all colors but WHITE…to this day I cannot sport the white jean. Light (stone wash), yes, but white no…primarily light blues, dark blue, black…GUESS was having a day at this time.
- Surf wear– always finds a place regardless of the time. Can be regional specific such as Rusty, WRV, Santa Cruz, Quicksilver, etc.
- Hats (worn backwards was popular)- a classic New ERA or ’47 for a lower crown and more comfortable fit and we bought the hat for COLOR primarily and not the team. It was simply to match the rest of the outfit.
- Outerwear– the jean jacket, flannels (unbuttoned), Champion hoodies, the leather jacket, and the track jacket.
So, now you know what you need to know as the 90’s style movement for men shifts from the West Coast to the East Coast.
Let’s bring back the 90’s in more ways than one…YeeEVOLVE my friends EVOLVE.
The Jordan V:
The Vans Half Cab: